Exactly one year ago Tuesday, a 23-year-old woman was shot and killed in a hail of gunfire and two men were charged in connection with her death.

One man, Jamie Townes, was indicted less than two weeks ago on March 15 in the shooting death of Breunia Jennings. Police believe Townes fired the fatal shots. Another man, community activist Rev. Kenneth Glasgow, awaits a decision.

The district attorney and the lawyers representing the two men remain tightlipped about the progress of the case.

Police say Glasgow drove the vehicle carrying a passenger, Townes, who police believe subsequently shot and killed Jennings after he asked Glasgow to help him look for his car he believed had been stolen.

In earlier testimony during a preliminary hearing, Dothan Police Department Investigator Justin Dodson said Glasgow and Townes were two of four people questioned on the night of the shooting.

Glasgow initially denied driving the vehicle, Dodson said; Glasgow first told police a person described as a family friend was driving the vehicle.

“As the investigation continued, it was determined Glasgow had called his girlfriend several times that evening to tell her to come to the scene to inform law enforcement she was the driver,” Dodson said. “Then she informed law enforcement she was at home in bed when the incident occurred.”

Glasgow denies the inference the woman was his girlfriend. He said the woman was a longtime family friend.

During Glasgow’s preliminary hearing, Dodson testified that 14 shots were fired the night Jennings was killed. Ten shots were fired in one location leaving multiple shell casings, and four more shots were fired a few minutes later. One of those four shots killed Jennings.

Townes’ defense attorney, Jim Parkman, stated during Townes’ preliminary hearing that Jennings had an agenda.

Parkman said 24 to 30 hours before Jennings was killed, a social media post stated Jennings was “going to kill somebody."

Glasgow remains out on bond. Townes is held at the Houston County Jail with no bond.

The grand jury has three choices: indict Glasgow on capital murder charges, meaning the jury found compelling evidence to uphold the capital murder charges; indict Glasgow on a lesser charge; or no-bill the charge, meaning the grand jury did not have enough evidence to indict.

The capital murder charges carry a sentence of death or life in prison without parole.

Glasgow has been involved in several community movements since being released from prison, where he served time on drug charges in the late 1980s. Upon his release, he founded The Ordinary People Society, a community and homeless ministry in Dothan. He has advocated for the restoration of voting rights for ex-felons and helped start Moma Tina’s Mission House in Dothan, along with his mother.

Glasgow’s defense attorney Derek Yarbrough declined to make any comments about his client’s case at this time, and attempts to contact Parkman were unsuccessful.

District Attorney Pat Jones told the Dothan Eagle he could not make comments about either case at this time.

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Recommended for you

Load comments