Bertlita Garnett

Bertlita Garnett

The family of a woman killed this week during an apparent domestic dispute plans to travel to Dothan from Atlanta to address several unanswered questions.

George Goodwin said his aunt, 57-year-old Berlita Garnett, was a retired chef and disabled veteran of the U.S. Army. He said his aunt moved to Dothan in November with her boyfriend, Kenneth Lyle Street.

“A lot of people loved my aunt, including her nieces and nephews,” said Goodwin, who lives in Atlanta. “We are her only family. She didn’t have any kids.”

Goodwin said they plan to travel to Dothan this week to talk to the authorities in an effort to learn more about what happened to their aunt.

Dothan police officers responded to a reported shooting just after 7 a.m. Tuesday at Street’s home in the 300 block of North Herring Street.

Police arrested the 56-year-old Street Tuesday, charging him with murder in connection to Garnett’s death.

Dothan Police Sgt. Maurice “Mac” Eggleston said in an email the shooting was the end result of continuous arguing between the two people. Eggleston also said in an email the “situation turned deadly when Garnett threw hot water on Street.” Garnett was then shot one time in the torso, and taken to the Southeast Alabama Medical Center where she died a short time later.

Court records show police investigators charged Street with using a .380-caliber handgun to fatally shoot Garnett.

Street remains held at the Houston County Jail on $500,000 bail.

Mia Scarboro Goodwin recalled her aunt getting along well with Street during a recent visit to their home. She said she still finds it hard to believe their aunt is dead.

“We just left there and they was fine. We were all having a good time so I just don’t understand why this happened,” Scarboro Goodwin said. “We’re trying to figure out how he was able to shoot her because she was such a wonderful person.”

Scarboro Goodwin recalled visiting her aunt just last weekend at the North Herring Street home where she was shot. She remembered the brunch her aunt cooked for them on Sunday. Her aunt formerly worked as an executive chef for Marriott in Atlanta before moving to Dothan.

Scarboro Goodwin last saw her aunt around 3 p.m. Sunday when she left Dothan to return to Atlanta.

“I talked to her Monday and then Tuesday came around and she didn’t answer the phone,” Scarboro Goodwin said. “This is the last thing I thought would happen.”

Get Breaking News Alerts

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Follow Matt on Twitter @ElofsonMatt.

Recommended for you

Load comments