Flying J

Dothan Police continue to investigate a Sunday evening disturbance call to Flying J Travel Center where one man later died at a local hospital.

A man died Sunday evening at Flying J Travel Center after a struggle with police officers.

Officers responded to a report of a man displaying bizarre behavior at Flying J, said Dothan Police Chief Steven Parrish.

Terrell Osborne, 32, believed to be from Mississippi, was transported to a local hospital and later pronounced dead.

“Osborne covered a lot of territory in a short time,” said Dothan Police Chief Steve Parrish. “Osborne had parked his 18-wheeler in the parking lot at Ollie’s. He then ran across the street to Popeye’s Chicken and then back to Ollie’s. Once he was inside Ollie’s, employees reported Osborne kicked shopping carts and began running through the store. After going inside Ollie’s the individual placed a 911 call stating someone was after him. He then ran across the street to Flying J. Once inside Flying J, he ran into Denny’s. He proceeded to run into the kitchen at Denny’s where he threw items and began screaming uncontrollably.”

According to Parrish, Osborne’s scene lasted roughly 14 minutes.

“Once officers arrived on the scene they approached the individual where they noticed he was displaying shallow breathing and officers called for emergency medical services,” Parrish said. “The victim was transported to a local hospital where he later passed away.”

Osborne’s body will be transported to the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences for an autopsy to be performed.

Parrish confirmed a straw with white residue was found on Osborne which tested positive for cocaine. Empty bags were also found in Osborne’s truck which also tested positive for cocaine.

“At this time this case is still under investigation,” Parrish said. “Tuesday we will contact the state regarding the state conducting an investigation into this matter.”

Parrish also stated officers’ body camera footage would be reviewed and internal affairs would conduct an investigation as well.

Parrish stated he believes the officers handled this situation remarkably.

“In my opinion the officers did remarkably in trying to handle Osborne and his behavior,” Parrish said. “They took control of the situation, and once they noticed Mr. Osborne was having breathing issues they got him help. We do not know Mr. Osborne’s health issues, but I do know he covered a lot of ground on foot in 14 minutes.”

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Follow Michele Forehand on Twitter @micheleforehan1

Recommended for you

Load comments